Elk Camp Canyon
Location: Las Animas County, Colorado
Acreage: 937 Acres
Property Description: Exceptional sporting ranch with year-round access and only 15 minutes north of Trinidad, Colorado. This historic canyon area was once the location of the former mining camp of Forbes, Colorado and remnants of its historic past are still evident today. Small off-grid cabin to keep you warm at night. Absolutely loaded with wild game including elk, mule deer, bear and turkey!
- Location: Las Animas County, Colorado
- Acreage: 937 Acres
- Price: $995,000
- Property Description: Very unique 937 acre hunting and sporting property with year-round access and only 15 minutes north of Trinidad, Colorado. This historic canyon was once the location of the former mining camp of Forbes, Colorado and remnants of its historic past are still evident today. Step back in time as you follow the old road and railroad bed as it climbs up into the back canyon of this property. Old stone buildings used in the camp can still be seen today. The property has no covenants or HOA, so many uses are possible including camping, hiking, hunting, shooting, ATV use, or horseback riding. The land sits in a scenic canyon with colorful towering rock walls and outcroppings and access is gated and locked without any outside disturbance. It has a nice combination of pinon, juniper, cedar and gambel oak with lovely meadows in the canyon bottom. Natural springs, seasonal creek beds and arroyos catch and hold water to attract game. The property is secluded and private at the end of the road, yet only a short drive to I-25 and Trinidad for food shopping and other services.
- Elevation: 6,400 -6,600 Ft.
- Improvements: Brand new 472 square ft. hunting cabin. This off grid cabin is solidly constructed with vaulted wood ceilings and sheet rock walls. It has a nice covered porch, ample size den and an upstairs bedroom and closet. The pot belly stove puts out ample heat throughout the cabin to keep things cozy even on the coldest nights. The property provides all of the oak firewood and coal a person could use in a lifetime. There is also a propane wall heater for backup. Electricity has been run into the ranch and part of the way up the canyon and there are many great building sites for a larger home or additional cabins if desired.
- Wildlife and Recreation: The land is located in Game Management Unit 85 and this area is known for its large elk population and this property only confirms that reputation! Large bulls are regularly harvested in this unit making it one of the top game units areas in Colorado for elk. Unit 85 provides for over- the- counter bull tags for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. Recent harvest success on this property include several bull elk, bear, and turkey. The property is loaded with elk and deer sign showing animals moving up and down the canyon floor. The ranch offers protection and water resources to attract and hold big game. Several natural spring areas flow down and through the property and natural rock cisterns catch and hold water when it rains. This ranch also has outstanding habitat for turkey and many have been spotted throughout the property. Because of its size, the property qualifies for registration in the Landowner Preference Program (LPP) allowing for the potential to obtain additional game vouchers each year. Forbes Canyon bisects the land and there is a good trail road offering access to most parts of the property.
- Water Rights: Buyer is entitled to drill a domestic well on the property which allows for in-house use, watering of livestock and irrigation of up to 1 acre of land. There is an old well and windmill on the property.
- Mineral Rights: Any minerals owned by Seller will be conveyed to Buyer at Closing.
- Zoning and Taxes: AG – Vacant Land Zoning. Taxes based on 2018 assessments were $362.
- Contact: Jeff Switzer
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: (719) 963-2513