Cucharas River Ranch
Location: La Veta, Colorado
Acreage: 525 Acres
Property Description: This riverfront property has been operated for the last 20 years as a working family ranch with livestock and hay production. It offers a unique combination of dry pasture, wooded ridge land, irrigated acreage, sub-irrigated pasture and river bottom land along the scenic Cucharas River. Ideal for a recreational or retirement ranch, horse ranch, hunting ranch or a combination of uses.
- Location: La Veta, Colorado
- Acreage: 525 Acres
- Price: $1,800,000
- Property Description: This 525 acre riverfront ranch has been operated for the last 20 years as a working family ranch. It offers a unique combination of dry pasture, wooded ridge land, irrigated acreage, sub-irrigated pasture and river bottom land along the scenic Cucharas River. The ranch offers prime building sites for a new home on ridges overlooking the river valley with stunning views of the Spanish Peaks and Sangre De Cristo Mountain Range. The property is fenced and cross fenced. The ranch is conveniently situated with frontage on State Hwy 12, just minutes to the historic town of La Veta, Colorado. In addition, the property is only 15 minutes to Walsenburg and Interstate 25, and an easy drive to Pueblo, Colorado Springs and Denver. This family property has operated as a working ranch for many years with livestock and hay production, but could easily be used as a recreational or retirement ranch, horse ranch, hunting ranch or a combination of uses.
- Elevation: 6,800 – 7,000 Ft.
- Improvements: The ranch headquarters consists of a older ranch home and typical working facilities used in the operation of the ranch. The home includes 3 bedrooms and one bathroom and sits among the shade of the enormous cottonwood trees that line the river. Upgrades could be made to accommodate the buyer’s needs for ranch and residential use, guest home, or an on-site ranch manager. The ranch also includes numerous outbuildings used for cattle and hay production. There is a 50′ x 100′ steel frame building used as a workshop and to store equipment. In addition there are several hay barns, sheds, grain bins, paddocks, corrals and working chutes. There is also a classic antique barn that has unique restoration possibilities.
- Wildlife and Recreation: The ranch boasts over 1.5 miles of Cucharas River frontage and bottom lands with abundant hunting and recreational opportunities. The ranch is located in in GMU 85 and is eligible for landowner preference tags. Elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, and antelope, are seen regularly on and around the ranch. The ranch also has ideal habitat for upland birds and waterfowl. The river bottom area provides good cover and water resources for game bird activity, especially turkey and dove. The ranch could easily be used for equestrian purposes using existing facilities with plenty of room to ride and explore. The ranch sits at the foothills to the San Isabel National Forest with views of snow capped peaks to the south and west. Many recreational and sight seeing activities exist within minutes of the ranch including the quaint town of La Veta, the Scenic Highway of Legends, the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad, and Lathrop State Park.
- Water Rights: The Ranch has some of the oldest and most senior water rights on the Cucharas River which are used to irrigate pasture for hay production. The water rights date back to the 1880’s and it is rare to find a ranch with such senior rights available for sale. The water is delivered through a ditch and gated pipe system. Additional reservoir storage rights also come with the Ranch. One domestic well serves the ranch dwelling and a stock well serves the northern side of the ranch. Further information on water rights and well permits is available upon request.
- Mineral Rights: Any rights owned by seller will be conveyed to buyer at closing.
- Income: The Ranch has approximately 100 acres under irrigation for hay production. The balance of the land is in sub-irrigated pasture, river bottom lands and dry pasture. The ranch is not presently leased for hunting but the potential exists for future leasing to individuals or outfitters.
- Zoning and Taxes: Agricultural zoning. Taxes based on 2014 assessments are $3,083 per year.
- Contact: Jeff Switzer
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Phone: (719) 471-3131