Bugling Elk Ranch – SOLD
Location: Custer County, Colorado Acreage: 240 Acres Price: $1,075,000 Property Description: Historic high alpine ranch used in the filming of several Hollywood movies. Trophy elk hunting. Completely private and tucked among other large land holdings and the San Isabel National Forest. Hunting camp, barn, well, spring, creek, timber and high alpine meadows. A rare gem!
- Location: Custer County, Colorado
- Acreage: 240 Acres
- Price: $1,075,000
- Property Description: Set in the gorgeous high alpine country between Rye and Wetmore, Colorado, this scenic 240 acres offers ultimate privacy, trophy hunting, and a historic past. The ranch was used as a filming location for two Hollywood movies. “Vengeance Valley” starring Burt Lancaster was filmed on the property in 1951 and the “Outcast” starring John Derek in 1954. This property is the one of the oldest recorded homesteads in Custer County and remnants of the old homestead buildings are seen today. Descendants of the original homesteaders lived year round on the property until the early 1960’s. The ranch is located just of Highway 165 and approximately 45 minutes southwest of Pueblo, Colorado. The land is classic Colorado high alpine country with lush meadows, aspen groves, spruce and pine forest, beautiful wild flowers, a mountain creek and active spring. There are spectacular mountain and valley views in many locations and several miles of interior roads to access all portions of the ranch. Properties in this area are held in families for generations and rarely come on the market. This property is extremely unique and there are many possibilities here including family legacy ranch, hunting property, horses, ATV use, camping, or building a new cabin.
- Elevation: 9000-9700 Ft.
- Improvements: The ranch has a rustic hunting camp that is approximately 1,000 sq. ft. with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath and has electricity, telephone and a state permitted well. The camp also has an attached workshop, storage area and carport to pull in recreational vehicles. In addition there is a large detached metal barn for vehicles, tools and equipment. Entrance to the ranch is gated and locked. Numerous building sites exist for a new cabin or lodge with easy access to electric service which is often not available on these secluded alpine properties.
- Wildlife and Recreation: The land is located in Game Management Unit 84 and adjoins other large private ranches with thousands of acres of National Forest nearby. Mule deer, bear and turkey are seen regularly in and around the property and elk herds are often seen grazing in the meadows during early morning and early evening hours. The terrain, water resources, forage, and protective bedding areas on this ranch combine to create the ideal elk habitat. On several visits to the property during the fall months, bulls were heard bugling down the timbered hillsides. Because of its size, the property qualifies for registration in the Landowner Preference Program (LPP) allowing for the potential to obtain additional game tags each year. Equestrians would love this property as there is old jeep trail running through most of the property offering a scenic area for riding horses. The ranch is situated close to thousands of acres of the San Isabel National Forest and San Isabel Lake is an easy drive from the property offering additional recreational activities. The ranch has no conservation easements on it but would be an excellent candidate for a future conservation easement.
- Water Rights: The property has a state permitted domestic well which allows an owner the right to use this water for in-house use, watering livestock and irrigation of up to 1 acre of land.
- Zoning and Taxes: AG – Taxes based on 2017 assessments were $220
- Contact: Jeff Switzer
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: (719) 471-3131
All information provided by Rocky Mountain Ranch & Land, LLC, their agents or affiliates in connection with this property was obtained from sources deemed reliable, however, we do not warrant its accuracy, reliability or completeness. Rocky Mountain Ranch & Land, LLC recommends that every item of interest to the purchases (i.e. water and mineral rights, property income, zoning, boundaries, easements, permits, leases, and land use regulations) be independently verified. This sale offering is made subject to errors, omissions, change of price, prior sale or withdrawal without notice.