Bear Ridge Ranch
Location: Westcliffe, Colorado Acreage: 197.96 +/- Acres Price: $2,960,000 Property Description: One of the finest mountain ranches on the market today! Featuring a magnificent log home with stunning views of the Sangre De Cristo and Wet Mountain Ranges. Hunting lodge, family ranch, small cattle or horse ranch or seasonal mountain get away would all be an ideal fit for this property. Directly bordering the San Isabel National Forest.
- Location: Westcliffe, Colorado
- Acreage: 197.96 Acres
- Price: $2,960,000
- Property Description: Bear Ridge Ranch is a true mountain showplace located just northeast of Westcliffe, Colorado. This is one of the finest properties you will find on the market today in the southern Colorado mountains. The diverse 197+ acres includes a stunning custom log home with sweeping views of the Sangre De Cristo and Wet Mountain Ranges. The log home, designed by Alpine Log Homes of Montana evokes a setting of historic mountain lodges with its grand entryway, floor to ceiling moss rock fireplace, and massive outdoor deck areas. The ranch borders thousands of acres of the San Isabel National Forest and the property features timbered ridges, alpine meadows, aspen groves, creek frontage and a live spring. As you tour the property, you are reminded of its historic past as you see remnants of a miners cabin and corrals which were once part of an old mining town. The ranch sets up well for large family uses, cattle and horses, trophy hunting, hiking, ATV use and more!
- Location and Accessibility: Bear Ridge Ranch is located approximately 22 miles northeast of Westcliffe, Colorado in Custer County. It is easily accessible from the major Colorado cities without crossing mountain passes. Denver is 3 hrs – Colorado Springs – 2 hrs and Pueblo – 1 hr. from the Ranch. Commercial air service is available at all these cities and a local airport with a 7,000′ paved runway is located just south of Westcliffe and is capable of handling private jets. Westcliffe was built in the late 1800’s as the end-of-the-line for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad to harvest the rich silver and gold deposits found in the area and many remnants of that ancestry exist to this day. A community of 4000 residents, Westcliffe retains a small-town environment with its arts community, historic buildings, shops and restaurants. The Wet Mountain Valley is certainly one of the most scenic and unspoiled mountain valleys in Colorado. It continues to maintain its rural charm, western heritage, and ranch country feel.
- Elevation: 8200 to 8700 Ft.
The home is a custom built full round log with 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. From the impressive entry to the free flowing floor plan, it is ideal for entertaining family and friends. The kitchen features cherry cabinets, granite counter tops, a six-burner gas Wolf range with convection oven, and under counter full size electric Thermador convection oven, cherry paneled refrigerator and dishwasher. There is plenty of storage with a separate food pantry and walk-in utility pantry. Built-in seating and a raised hearth fireplace add to the cozy ambiance. Walls of windows with incredible views, hardwood floors and a thirty foot moss rock fireplace add drama to the living and dining areas. The den/family room has a private deck. This room could also serve as an additional bedroom with a Murphy bed and attached full bath and large walk-in closet with built in shelving and dresser.
A three-quarter bath and laundry room, including tons of storage complete the main living area. The massive deck off the dining room has breathtaking views and an outdoor kitchen with built-in Jenn-Air gas grill, and a separate burner cook top with a stainless steel cupboard.
The lower level walkout serves as a game/family room with an entertainment area, pool table, and Vermont Castings wood stove. This area also features a large walk-in Fort Knox safe perfect for wine, firearms or other valuables.
The master suite, loft area, and large guest suite, are located on the upper level of the house. The loft features a floor to ceiling custom cherry bookcase. An open walkway leads to a guest suite with a private deck, walk-in closet with built-in shelves and drawers, and a claw foot tub with separate shower.
The master suite features a private deck, corner gas kiva fireplace and his and hers closets that have built-ins and full mirrors. The master suite has an attached full bath with separate garden tub and shower area.
The home features a separate guest wing which provides a private space for guests. It can be closed off from the rest of the house and is comprised of three bedrooms and a three-quarter bath.
A convenient mudroom hall entry is adjacent to the double garage. In this area there is a large workshop with outside access, food storage space and a utility room with separate radiant heat controls and additional water heater.
A staircase leads to a large finished area above the garage which could be used as an artist’s studio, office space, or home gym. This space includes 3 large rooms, half bath, reading area with window seat and storage, and a separate outdoor deck.
Note: The home is being sold turn-key with the majority of the furnishings included.
- Outbuildings: The ranch has a stucco and log barn/utility building near its entrance which could easily be used to store vehicles, equipment, or ATV’s. It could also serve as a nice workshop or be converted into living space for guests or a caretaker.
- Wildlife and Recreation: The land is located in Game Management Unit 69 and shares its eastern boundary with the San Isabel National Forest. There is a private gated access from the ranch into the Forest for easy uses such as hunting, hiking, mountain biking, or horseback riding. Elk are often seen grazing in the meadows during early morning and early evening hours and mule deer, bear and turkey are seen regularly on the property. The terrain, water resources, forage, and protective bedding areas on this ranch combine to create the ideal big game and upland bird habitat. There is plenty of room to hunt on the property or on the 1,000’s of acres of adjoining National Forest. Equestrians would love this property as there are old trails running through the ranch and many miles of trails and roads in the adjoining National Forest to ride and explore.
- Conservation Easement: Bear Ridge Ranch is protected by a conservation easement held by the San Isabel Land Protection Trust. The conservation easement allows for all uses that are normal and customary for mountain ranches and allows for the construction of a guest home, barns and other agricultural outbuildings.
- Water Features: Oak Creek flows through the lower portion of the ranch. It would serve nicely as a water source for a cattle or horses and is also an important water resource for wildlife.
- Water Rights: The property has a state permitted domestic well which allows an owner the right to use this water for in-house use, watering livestock and irrigation of up to 1 acre of land. The property also has one adjudicated spring right.
- Zoning and Taxes: AG – Taxes based on 2018 assessments were $3,649 per year.
- Contact: Jeff Switzer
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: (719)-963-2513
All information provided by Rocky Mountain Ranch & Land, LLC, their agents or affiliates in connection with this property was obtained from sources deemed reliable, however, we do not warrant its accuracy, reliability or completeness. Rocky Mountain Ranch & Land, LLC recommends that every item of interest to the purchases (i.e. water and mineral rights, property income, zoning, boundaries, easements, permits, leases, and land use regulations) be independently verified. This sale offering is made subject to errors, omissions, change of price, prior sale or withdrawal without notice.